Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Orleans School of Cooking

Location: 524 St. Louis St., New Orleans, LA 70130
Phone: (504) 525-2665
Website: http://www.neworleansschoolofcooking.com

Open Demonstration Lunch Class


Biscuits: (S) Nice and fluffy, easy to break open, so good with syrup. (J) Biscuits weren't listed on the menu, so it came as a nice surprise. The syrup had a unique flavour.

Drinks: Abita root beer (left) and Abita beer (right). (S) I like this root beer. (J) I don't drink beer, but this tasted alright.

Corn & Crab Bisque: (S) Zomg, so much butter...but tasted really nice with great texture. Lesson: when making the roux (mixing a fat with flour on heat to desired colour), don't do anything else! (J) Tasted nice and creamy. Lots of corn and chunks of crab.

Shrimp Creole: (S) Southern people love their butter. This was made with another butter-based roux, cooked to a shade of peanut butter. This was my ultimate favourite dish! It included shrimp, the Holy Trinity (onion, celery, green bell pepper) and the Pope (chopped garlic). (J) I liked the shrimp. It's scary that you can't taste all the butter that went into it.

Pralines: (S) This was waaay too sweet for me. I took a bite and couldn't eat the rest. (J) It was too sweet and soft. I prefer the crunch of a brittle instead.

Bread Pudding: (S) Normally I love bread pudding, but again this was way too sweet. I took a bite and left it. I wanted to go back for more Shrimp Creole. (J) I wasn't a big fan of the coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment